Detroit looks to return to the type of hockey champions play tonight when they welcome their favorite playoff punching bag into town tonight at the Joe.
The Wings are on a 12-game win streak at home where they are a spectacular 15-2-1 so far this season, more on that later.
Puck drops at 7:30pm on FSD
Click the jump for the goods
Phoenix has a pretty good “top-3” in Ray Whitney, Radim Vrbata and Shane ‘hittin wins playoff games’ Doan who account for 43% of the teams scoring this season.
Mike Smith has been a bright spot for the Coyotes so far, posting a 16-11-5 record with a 2.38 GAA, .924 SV% and 2 shutouts.
A few games to take note of tonight are Minnesota vs Chicago and Vancouver vs St. Louis, Detroit needs both the Hawks and Blues to lose tonight coupled with a solid win of their own to regain the lead in the central.
Jimmy will be back in net tonight going for win 100 after getting some much needed rest. Babcock will also be going for win 400 in his 699th game tonight making him only the 24th to do so and 3rd fastest behind Scotty Bowman (690) and Glen Sather (694).
Jan Mursak has been officially recalled from his two week conditioning stint in Grand Rapids and could make an appearance tonight for the first time after breaking his ankle in the preseason.
Getting back to Detroit’s 12-game home win streak which is closing in on their franchise record of 14 set in 1965. During those 12 games they have outscored their opponents 57-17 with only one game being decided by one goal (3-2 on 12/27 vs St. Louis). With a win tonight the Wings have an opportunity to tie that record vs Chicago.
DETROIT’S 12-GAME HOME WIN STREAK
PP: 11 for 48 –22.9%
PK: 34 for 42 –81.0%
Avg. shots per game: 33.58
Avg. shots against per game: 26.33
Avg. goals per game: 4.75
Avg. goals against per game: 1.42
DETROIT RED WINGS TEAM NOTES
DET is 61-39-22-3 all-time vs PHX
DET is 34-21-8-1 all-time vs PHX on home ice
DET is 67-3-4 the last 74 times they’ve scored 4+ goals in a game
DETROIT RED WINGS PLAYER NOTES
• J. Howard is 12-0-0 (1.42 GAA, .946 SV%, 3 SO) during DET’s 12-game home winning streak
• H. Zetterberg scored his 99th and 100th NHL goals on 2/7/07 vs. PHX
• H. Zetterberg’s next point will tie him with P. Sundstrom for 16th place in NHL history amongst Swedish-born players (588)
• N. Lidstrom has recorded 4G-6A-10P, +16 rating during DET’s 12-game home winning streak
• N. Lidstrom tallied his 600th career assist 3/7/06 vs. PHX
• N. Lidstrom is 3 assists behind P. Esposito for 21st place in NHL history (873)
• N. Lidstrom is 4 GP behind J. Bucyk for 11th place in NHL history (1540)
• J. Franzen has tallied 6G-9A-15P during DET’s 12-game home winning streak
• P. Datsyuk has registered 4G-11A-15P during DET’s 12-game home winning streak
• P. Datsyuk recorded his 600th career point (assist) on 10/28/10 vs PHX
• P. Datsyuk’s next point will give him sole possession of 214th place in NHL history (currently tied w/Cam Neely, 694)
• P. Datsyuk’s next goal will tie him with S. Samsonov for 10th place all-time in NHL history amongst Russian-born players (235)
• T. Holmstrom scored his 100th career NHL goal on 11/5/05 vs. PHX
Pavel Datsyuk is a game time decision for tonight’s game, lets hope that the decision is a good one.
Here are the lines they skated with this morning per Khan
Cleary in the top-six is not ideal, this is all the more reason we should either ship a pick off to Edmonton or Washington for Hemsky or Semin, and yes I don’t think that a pick for either is low-balling it.