The Red Wings make one final stop tonight taking on the Canadiens de Montréal before Datsyuk and Howard depart for the All-Star game in Ottawa this weekend.
Detroit is riding a 7-game win streak where they recently just sat their over confident little brother in timeout by dominating the Blues 3-1 at the Joe extending their home win streak to 17.
Puck drops at 7:30 pm on NBCSN. Be sure to check out NHL 36 featuring Nick Lidstrom tonight as well at 6:30 on NBCSN
Update: Lineup and starting goalies
Click the jump for notes on le match
With all the expansion to sunny places where hockey passion can’t grow out on the frozen ponds, these two teams don’t meet much anymore in Bettman’s NHL. And as two of the most storied franchise in the history of the game it really shouldn’t be that they respectively play teams like Dallas and Florida four times a year, yet only meet each other once.
Detroit has been on fire. Though most of their recent games have been hard fought, 60+ minute battles, they have shown that when the game is on the line they will prevail. I expect no less than a 110% effort from this team each and every night.
What they showed us Monday night in St. Louis is something only champions can possess. They played smart, physical, effective hockey against a very talented defensively strong team. They showed us that they can be physical without putting themselves in the box. They found a way to crack a goalie on a hot streak and never lost their cool as their opponent did.
This team is a winner. And I expect no less than a W tonight to further thrust themselves higher in the standing where they can look down on their kingdom.
DETROIT RED WINGS TEAM NOTES
DET is 201-270-96-0 all-time vs MTL
DET is 69-172-43-0 all-time at MTL
DET leads the NHL in wins (33)
DET team record for fastest goal to start a game (0:06) was set on 1/28/73 at MTL (H. Boucha)
DET is 68-3-4 the last 75 times they’ve scored 4+ goals in a game
DETROIT RED WINGS PLAYER NOTES
• N. Lidstrom is skating in his 214th straight regular season game (longest active streak on DET)
• N. Lidstrom’s next assist will give him sole possession of 21st place in NHL history (currently tied with P. Esposito, 873)
• P. Datsyuk has tallied 4G-12A-16P in 9 games vs Eastern Conference opponents this season
• D. Cleary (w/CHI) scored his first NHL goal on 10/19/98 at MTL
• J. Howard is 7-1-0 (1.74 GAA, .938 SV%) in 8 appearances vs Eastern Conference opponents this season
• J. Howard leads the NHL in victories (30) and is on pace to win 50 games this season (NHL record – M. Brodeur, 48)
• H. Zetterbeg has registered 0G-7A-7P in his last 6 road games
• T. Bertuzzi has recorded 2G-3A-5P in his last 5 games
ALL-TIME RED WINGS HAT TRICKS VS. CANADIENS:
Detroit Red Wings: Notes de presse/Media Notes
Ted Lindsay vs. Montreal, March 20, 1955
Ted Lindsay (4) vs. Montreal, April 5, 1955*
Gordie Howe vs. Montreal, April 10, 1955*
Ted Lindsay vs. Montreal, Nov. 18, 1956
Norm Ullman vs. Montreal, Feb. 28, 1965
Norm Ullman vs. Montreal, Dec. 17, 1967
Frank Mahovlich @ Montreal, Nov. 19, 1969
Marcel Dionne vs. Montreal, March 19, 1972
Marcel Dionne vs. Montreal, Feb. 22, 1973
Steve Yzerman @ Montreal, Feb. 6, 1988
Vyacheslav Kozlov (4) @ Montreal, Dec. 2, 1995
Per Khan, Kindl is in for Commodore, but Commie may be back in as Lidstrom was not feeling well and left practice early. Jimmy Howard and Carey Price will be your starting goalies.
Happy Birthday Chellios. This one is for you!