Detroit takes on the Dallas Stars tonight for the first time since November 12th, a game where Ian White proved (with his face) that he was the best choice this summer, and a good bet to have a long career in the winged wheel.
Detroit won that game 5-2 and ignited the rivalry with the Stars that just never seems to go away. I don’t know about you, but I love playing the Stars. They are always fun, physical and highly skilled games.
Click the jump for more
If you like Swedes, and I’m sure you do if you are a Wing fan this game will have plenty of them, in fact 3 of the top 4 highest goal scoring Swedish-born players since the 2008-09 season will be in the lineup tonight with Loui Ericsson (105 G), Johan Franzen (87 G) and Henrik Zetterberg (86 G).
This game also boasts the only two teams in the NHL that have at least 14 consecutive winning seasons. Detroit (19) and Dallas (14).
Conner has been activated and sent down to Grand Rapids, Helm is still out with the groin tweak. The lineup for tonight will be the same as the last few games. Babs has said that Kindl will get back in at least one of these upcoming games, my guess would be in Toronto as Commodore will probably be called upon for his size in the game against Chicago.
Howard will be in net, hopefully Conks will get the nod in Toronto so that Howie can get some rest to lead the team to a 10-0 shutout of the hawks.
DETROIT RED WINGS TEAM NOTES
DET is 102-96-34-5 all-time vs DAL
DET is 42-55-18-3 all-time at DAL
DET is 40-36-9-0 all-time on their first game of the calendar year
DET is 66-3-4 the last 73 times they’ve scored 4+ goals in a game
DETROIT RED WINGS PLAYER NOTES
• I. White is T-3rd in the NHL in plus/minus (+24)
• J. Howard leads the NHL in victories (23) and is on pace to win 49 games this season (NHL record – 48, M. Brodeur)
• J. Howard is 3-2-1 (2.00 GAA, .931 SV%) in 6 Tuesday starts this season
• J. Howard is 6-2-0 (2.10 GAA, .927 SV%) in 8 starts vs Pacific Division teams this season
• J. Franzen has registered 3G-7A-10P in 8 games vs Pacific Division teams this season
• J. Franzen is on pace to record 32G-36A-68P this season (all career highs)
• J. Franzen leads the NHL in GWG (7) and is on pace to net 15 game-winners this season (NHL record – 16, P. Esposito &M. Goulet)
• J. Abdelkader has been credited with 8 hits in his last 4 games
• B. Stuart has been credited with 10 hits in his last 5 games
• V. Filppula is on pace to register 26G-39A-65P this season (all career highs)
• B. Stuart (w/SJS) recorded his 100th NHL point (assist) on 2/16/03 at DAL
• N. Lidstrom recorded his 700th career point (assist) on 11/12/03 at DAL
• N. Lidstrom is 3 assists behind P. Esposito for 21st place in NHL history (873)
• N. Lidstrom is 8 GP behind J. Bucyk for 10th place in NHL history (1540)
• T. Bertuzzi registered his 400th career assist on 10/14/10 at DAL
• D. Cleary (w/PHX) tallied his 100th career point (assist) on 1/2/04 at DAL
• P. Datsyuk has tallied 3G-8A-11P in 8 games vs Pacific Division teams this season
• P. Datsyuk is 2 goals behind S. Samsonov for 10th place all-time in NHL history amongst Russian-born players (235)
• H. Zetterberg has recorded 4G-4A-8P in 8 games vs Pacific Division teams this season
ALL-TIME RED WINGS HAT TRICKS VS. STARS:
P. Eaves @ DAL, 12/29/10
P. Datsyuk @ DAL, 5/12/08*
D. ciccarelli @ DAL, 5/11/95*
G. Gallant vs. MIN, 12/18/87
R. Duguay vs. MIN, 3/1/85
F. Mahovlich vs. MIN, 12/31/68
G. Unger vs. MIN, 12/15/68
Discussion: What New Years resolution would you like to see the Wings fulfill for 2012?