It’s pretty well known by now that today’s game matters just a bit more than your regular January game. Despite slightly edging Chicago out in almost every category, and having more wins, Detroit is still two points behind the Hawks in the standings.
Puck drops at 12:30pm on NBolsuCk
Click the jump for more
Time to get fired up! The Chicago media and their equally dimwitted followers think that the Red Wings are dirty players. Uh, yeah. Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula… All dirty. Are you picking up the sarcasm? The Wings are one of the least penalized teams in the NHL and have had only six fighting majors all year. They consistently have a player either winning, or a runner-up for the Lady Byng. Do you want to talk about dirty? How about when Lidstrom was speared in the groin with the obvious intent to injure a few years back that probably was the difference in us winning the cup? That’s dirty.
Don’t get me started on Edward Walter Olczyk and his spudgefest for anything Blackhawks.
Detroit has beat a powerhouse at home this year going 16-2-1 (all Jimmah!) With a 14-game home win streak on the line, which would tie the franchise record set back in the 1964-65 season. I would expect the Wings to jump out of the gate fast, and get their offense rolling from the drop of the puck. This will be a hard fought, nail biting, close game in every aspect, except our players are much more handsome and can grow cool beards in the playoffs (experience).
The Hawks are on a 2-game win streak since losing to Detroit in overtime on a goal by Datsyuk, assisted by Leddy. Those two games were against Minnesota and Columbus.
How about Mursak? He was all over the place. He didn’t show up on the score sheet, but he was very noticable when he was on the ice. I can’t wait to see what his energy brings to the table tonight.
I’m hoping for a Hawk slaughter as I will be watching the game today at work, which is in Chicago (but only for 15 more days). If the Hawks win I’ll be tormented by moronic “fans” here at work and my desk may look something like this.
“For fun, I punch Franzen in head during intermission. Figure everybody else does it; why not Datsyuk?” – @NotPavelDatsyuk
“Babcock: pro -not a hair out of place, con – terrible ties.” – @FakeTomas
DETROIT RED WINGS TEAM NOTES
DET is 362-262-84-9 all-time vs CHI
DET is 215-104-33-4 all-time vs CHI on home ice
DET has won 13 straight home games (franchise record – 14, 1965)
DET is 11-for-51 (21.6%) on the PP during 13-game home winning streak
DET is 36-for-44 (81.8%) on the PK during 13-game home winning streak
Incl. playoffs a DET player has recorded a hat trick vs CHI 34 times (most recent: B. Shanahan, 4/13/06 at CHI; most recent at DET: S
DET is 67-3-4 the last 74 times they’ve scored 4+ goals in a game
DETROIT RED WINGS PLAYER NOTES
• J. Howard is 16-2-1 (1.68 GAA, .937 SV%) in 19 home starts this season
• J. Howard is 8-2-0 (1.40 GAA, .940 SV%) in 10 Saturday starts this season
• H. Zetterberg’s next point will tie him with P. Sundstrom for 16th place in NHL history amongst Swedish-born players (588)
• N. Lidstrom has recorded 4G-6A-10P, +18 rating during DET’s 13-game home winning streak
• N. Lidstrom scored his 200th NHL goal and 100th PPG on 3/2/07 CHI
• N. Lidstrom played in his 900th career game on 1/19/03 vs CHI
• J. Franzen has tallied 7G-9A-16P during DET’s 13-game home winning streak
• P. Datsyuk has registered 4G-12A-16P during DET’s 13-game home winning streak
• P. Datsyuk’s next goal will tie him with S. Samsonov for 10th place all-time in NHL history amongst Russian-born players (235)
• B. Stuart (w/CGY) Played in his 500th career NHL game vs CHI on 3/25/07
• B. Stuart (w/SJS) recorded his first career NHL assist vs CHI on 10/4/99
Mike Commodore will be out tonight with a sore foot, and Todd Bertuzzi will be a game-time decision with a back/groin issue. If Bert is out expect the same lineup we saw against Phoenix. So you get a Special Hulktuzzi. Datsyuk finally gets his first hat-trick, and Kronwall levels at least 3 people.