Tonight Detroit faces the team who’s knocked them out of the playoffs the past two years, San Jose. The fact that Detroit’s lost to those not-so-loveable losers the past two seasons certainly irks me, but the fact that the Sharks couldn’t even do something worthwhile with the series victory makes it sting even more.
Prior to losing to the Sharks, if you beat Detroit in the playoffs, you were guaranteed a spot in the Cup finals. For SEVEN years in the row that was the case.
- 2001-02 – Noone beat Detroit. Happiness ensued.
- 2002-03 – Detroit lost to the Mike Babcock led Ducks. What happened? Ducks went to the finals, where they lost 4-3 to the Devils.
- 2003-04 – Detroit lost to Calgary. What happened? Kipper led Calgary to the finals, where they lost to Tampa Bay 4-3.
- 2005-06 – Detroit lost to Edmonton. What happened? Edmonton lost to Carolina in the finals, again, 4-3.
- 2006-07 – Detroit lost to Anaheim again. This time the Ducks slashed their way to a Cup win.
- 2007-08 – Noone beat Detroit. Happiness ensued.
- 2008-09 – Detroit lost to Penguins. Penguins win the Cup.
But then, Detroit lost to San Jose in 2010. What happened? San Jose was swept by Chicago the next series. Again, last season, Detroit loses in 7, San Jose gets demolished in the Western Conference finals.
What the hell Sharks? You ruined a great thing. Only the best were able to beat Detroit. But you had to go choke it up once the pressure was on.
So, for that San Jose, I hate you even a little more.