Detroit welcomes the Coyotes to the Joe tonight for their first meeting since the Wings swept them out of the playoffs last spring. So, Shane Doan. How did that revenge work out? Not good? Oh… Better luck next time, actually no. Better luck in Quebec.
Puck drop is at 7:30 on FSD
Click the Jump for the goodies
• J. Franzen leads the NHL in PPG (8) and ranks is T-1st in GWG (5)
• P. Datsyuk recorded his 600th career point (assist) on 10/28/10 vs. PHX
• P. Datsyuk is T-1st in the NHL in takeaways (38)
• N. Kronwall ranks 5th in the NHL in blocked shots (71)
• J. Howard currently ranks 1st in the NHL in wins (15), 4th in GAA (1.89), T-2nd in SO (3), T-10th in SV% (.929)
• H. Zetterberg scored his 99th and 100th NHL goals on 2/7/07 vs. PHX
• T. Holmstrom scored his 100th career NHL goal on 11/5/05 vs. PHX
• T. Holmstrom’s next PPG will tie him with S. Fedorov for 4th place in DET team history (117)
• N. Lidstrom tallied his 600th career assist 3/7/06 vs. PHX
• N. Lidstrom currently leads all NHL defensemen in home ice scoring (13GP-6G-8A-14P)
• D. Cleary (w/CHI) made his NHL debut at PHX on 10/1/97
RED WINGS ALL-TIME HAT TRICKS VS. JETS/COYOTES:
V. Nedomansky @ WPG, Oct. 17, 1979
S. Yzerman @ WPG, Jan. 3, 1988
S. Yzerman @ WPG, Dec. 22, 1990
B. Shanahan @ PHX, March 5, 1999
M. Schneider vs PHX, Oct. 11, 2006
T. Holmstrom @ PHX, Jan. 11, 2007
H. Zetterberg @ PHX, Feb. 17, 2007
*H. Zetterberg @ PHX, April 16, 2010
Five For Howling brings us these wonderful quotes
“Coyotes fans seem to dislike games against the Red Wings for a couple of reasons, they tend to be tougher games and of course everyone hates Red Wings fans. It seems to be an almost universe sentiment that Red Wings fans are the most annoying fans in the NHL, and I mean that in the nicest way possible.”
If by annoying you mean intelligent, informed and knowledgeable about what we are talking about, then yes, and thank you.
Since I watch Wings games using Center Ice, there are often times that I get stuck watching the visitor feed for some games. One of those games happened to be against the Coyotes. They do segments to teach the game to viewers, were as if it was Ken and Mick they would teach you something like how the trap can be exploited. The Coyotes broadcasters have to start with the basics, like icing, and faceoffs.
I know that fandom has to start somewhere. Everyone needs to learn at some point, but don’t interpret our superior hockey intellect as anything but.
“With the Coyotes record this season there is no reason we should not be able to beat the Red Wings. With 2 wins against the Blackhawks recently, the Coyotes have proven that they can not only compete with some of the top teams in the NHL but we can also beat them too. It should also be noted that the Blackhawks are currently ahead of the Red Wings in the division”
Your record does not mean you will win, and if you want to use that logic then the Wings will win because our record is better. (insert childish teasing phrase here)
It should also be noted that the Wings have two games in hand on the Hawks, their goalie and defense suck, and they need to score six goals a game to win. Do I need to explain what games in hand are? No, I’ll just let Tyson Nash and his wannabe Don Cherry Suit tell you.
Here are your lineups for tonight’s game per Khan
Franzen – Datsyuk – Bertuzzi
Filppula – Zetterberg – Hudler
Cleary – Helm – Conner
Miller – Abdelkader – Holmstrom
Lidstrom – White
Kronwall - Ericsson
Stuart – Kindl
I know Gretzky isn’t involved with the team anymore but it was just too good to pass up.